We were contacted through Custom Made by a well-known Manhattan fashion designer who was looking to create a custom high-end clothing display case. After a few telephone conversations and emails an original concept drawing was generated which can be seen below.
This was another great opportunity to actually show in picture format the various steps taken in the construction of the case.
1) In concept drawing showing the basic ideas.
2) The raw case. The sides are solid red oak, the bottom is ¾" thick plain sliced mahogany veneer plywood. Holes were drilled into the bottom as part of the overall design concept for the case.
3) The case upside down showing some glue blocks used for added stability.
4) A filler piece was milled for added stability and to marry the first piece of crown trim to the case.
5) The first piece of crown trim fully attached to the case. While the first and third piece of trim were ready made, the dentil moulding was hand made by us.
6) A bed of solid oak was made and laminated to additional trim. This would eventually become the hinged lid to the case.
7) The case fully assembled, minus the metal grille used on the lid, ready for staining.
8) The case being finished in our spray room
9) Through 14) The finished case. A note about the brass. Sometimes when you can't find something ready made you have to make it yourself. The brass pieces are hand cut from sheet stock then polished in our shop.
Dimensions: 30" x 60"
Made in Newark, NJ
All of our products are handmade
by expert makers.
No reviews yet
Each week, expert artisans from across the country become makers on CustomMade.
Every maker has a story. Be a part of R J Hoppe Inc.'s story by placing an order, leaving a review, and seeing your review appear here.