We were contacted through Custom Made by a well-known Manhattan fashion designer who was looking to create a custom high-end clothing display case. For more about him you can visit www.willieescobar.com. After a few telephone conversations and emails an original concept drawing was generated which
… can be seen below.
This was another great opportunity to actually show in picture format the various steps taken in the construction of the case.
1) In concept drawing showing the basic ideas.
2) The raw case. The sides are solid red oak, the bottom is ¾" thick plain sliced mahogany veneer plywood. Holes were drilled into the bottom as part of the overall design concept for the case.
3) The case upside down showing some glue blocks used for added stability.
4) A filler piece was milled for added stability and to marry the first piece of crown trim to the case.
5) The first piece of crown trim fully attached to the case. While the first and third piece of trim were ready made, the dentil moulding was hand made by us.
6) A bed of solid oak was made and laminated to additional trim. This would eventually become the hinged lid to the case.
7) The case fully assembled, minus the metal grille used on the lid, ready for staining.
8) The case being finished in our spray room
9) Through 14) The finished case. A note about the brass. Sometimes when you can't find something ready made you have to make it yourself. The brass pieces are hand cut from sheet stock then polished in our shop.
Desk and credenza
by Daniel Feb 05th 2013
The completed desk and credenza was delivered yesterday and what an absolutely amazing piece of American workmanship. I would highly recommend Rolf and his team as a class act from beginning to end. Rolf was so proud of his work, as well he should be, that he delivered it, set it up, and polished it in my office before he left. I could tell it was hard for him to part with it. We decided that he could have the desk every other weekends and alternating holidays. “Rolf, It has been extremely enjoyable to watch the expression on the face of my employees over the last few days as they see this desk and credenza for the first time. Their mouths literally fall open in shock; it’s just that damn stunning. Have a great weekend." Going back to the beginning, I decided that my office (the president of the company’s office) needed to say more about the success of our company than the thirty year old décor that currently greeted our potential clients. You see our company was founded over a hu... Read More
Custom High End Fashion Display Case
by Felicia Nov 20th 2012
RJ Hoppe did a tremendous job on our display case. The detailing and finishing work were incredible! Given the specifics of the project they finished well before our due date, allowing time for any edits and adjustments. Rolf is very easy to work with we give him a thumbs up!
Dressing Room Island
by Virginia B. Jul 03rd 2012
RJ Hoppe was wonderful to work with. He was open to all my ideas, respected my personal specifications and stuck to my budget. He is an exacting and precise craftsman. Furthermore, he was punctual for all appointments and was fastidious when installing the piece. We got along very well; I highly recommend this vendor. Upon completion, he placed an orchid on the island, which added a lovely touch to complete my room. Virginia S. Block
TTo finish/salvage /duplicate two custom made desks and closets which were damaged by flood water from Hurricane Irene.
by Mo-Li B. Mar 30th 2012
Rolf Hoppe is an excellent cabinet maker. The desks we ordered were an exact duplicate of the custom made ones we had which were damaged by a flood from Hurricane Irene. He also took time to install them carefully and made sure that everything was in order. I recommend him highly. M. Bamberger.