An oil portrait of your dog in a classical style, in the antique French pendant setting of your choosing.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Decide whether you would like a full-length portrait (another listing), a bust portrait (another listing), or a miniature jewelry portrait (this listing; stay here).
2. Decide whether you would like the head shown full-face or in silhouette. In general, these pendants work best with full-face portraits and are most suite to snub-faced and round-muzzle dogs. If you have a pointy-nosed dog, it might work full-face, but it might be best in silhouette; the choice is yours.
3. Go through the gazillion photos of your dog to find the perfect photo, or do a photo shoot and take a new one. The quality of the painting will depend on the quality of the photograph! For full-face, make sure it's precisely straight on; likewise, for silhouette, make sure it's precisely from the side. Lighting can be important, so make sure there's nothing too off with the lights and shadows.
4. Attach the photo (above right).
5. Let me know about your dog in the "Customize your order" box (above right)! What is his or her name? What breed? Favorite things to do? Most adorable bad habits? Anything else you'd like to share?
6. Decide which pendant you would like (each $350): gold round, silver round, gold diamond, silver diamond, gold hexagonal, or silver hexagonal. The gold is gold wash. These are all c.1900, French, unused dead-stock pendants, about 1" wide, found at a flea market in Paris (limited availabilities). The glass fits very snugly inside the settings, and sometimes it doesn't connect in a perfectly flush round. Also, although I wouldn't worry in a bit of rain, I hope it goes without saying that they shouldn't be submerged in water. (Lover's eyes shown for pendant options) Let me know which you'd like in the "Customize" box.
7. Decide what you would like on the verso and in what colors. You might choose your dog's name, a favorite toy, or a Latin expression such as "Omnia Vincit Amor" ("Love Conquers All"). A second dog portrait would be a surcharge of $100. Add this info.
8. Click "Send Custom Request".
9. I'll reply and we'll discuss lay-out, color schemes, etc., until we both feel like I understand your expectations.
10. I'll paint. Give me 4-6 weeks to make sure I have enough time to work the portrait into my schedule and devote enough time to it. I'll try to do it as soon as I can, and I'll send ETAs when available. Feel free to check in. If this is a rush order, please let me know in the "Customize" box so I can let you know immediately if I can accommodate.
11. After the painting is finished, I'll send a photo for your feedback. Since you know your dog better than anyone and I'll only have a photo or two, you'll be the best judge of whether or not the portrait has captured the right likeness. Please keep in mind, though, that this is a painting in a classical style, not a photo-realistic style, and that it certainly isn't a photo. I'll work with you until you're happy with the result, but let's both try to keep it to a couple of rounds of revisions.
12. After the main portrait has dried (4 days to a week, depending on the weather), I'll paint the reverse and submit it for your approval.
13. When both are very dry and can be enclosed in the glass, I'll assemble the pendant, wrap it carefully and send it off!
15. Please write to let me know what you and your dog think of the portrait once you've seen it up close. :)
The painting is yours, but the rights of the image remain with me. I'd love it if you'd authorize me to share the painting and photo of your dog on my social channels and in listings such as this, but I'll respect your wishes if you'd prefer I didn't.
Made in St Helena, CA
All of our products are handmade
by expert makers.
No reviews yet
Each week, expert artisans from across the country become makers on CustomMade.
Every maker has a story. Be a part of Susannah Carson Fine Art's story by placing an order, leaving a review, and seeing your review appear here.