Introducing the new IN-18 Large Glass Clock, the biggest clock available from Cold War Creations. This clock uses the rare large Soviet IN-18 tubes, one of the better-looking Soviet tubes (with a normal '5', some of the other Soviet tubes use an upside down and backwards '2' for the '5'). Each tube is socketed to the board, which allows easy replacement if a tube fails. It's an excellent size for larger offices and living rooms.
The Large Glass Clock IN-18 design uses direct drive for the Nixie tubes (all tubes are on at the same time), resulting in brighter flicker-free display. It uses a microprocessor that direct drives the tubes. SMD (surface mount) construction is used throughout. A high efficiency high voltage power supply is used to generate the 180v required for the Soviet Nixie tubes. The tubes are driven according to the data sheet specs, and there is no "blue dot" problem with this clock.
Socket pins allow solderless replacement of Nixie tubes. The socket pins are very small and do not change the look of the clock. If a tube fails, though, the sockets allow the tube to be easily replaced.
The Glass Clock is designed to mirror and complement the Nixie tube's vacuum tube
shape and construction - from the round glass tubes used in the case to the round shapes used in the glass and acrylic support pieces. The case is made out of Simax glass from the Czech Republic, and is hand cut and polished. Acrylic pieces have been kept to a minimum in this clock design, glass rods are used for mounting the circuit board.
This handmade clock, including the electronics and software, is designed and manufactured by Cold War Creations. It is not built from a 3rd party Nixie clock kit.
The circuit board is designed by Cold War Creations, specifically for the Glass Nixie Tube clock, assuring a perfect match to the case design. The circuit board is also designed with micro-miniature surface mount parts, shrinking the size of the board to emphasize the Nixie tubes and downplay the modern circuitry. The CPU (32mHz AVR XMEGA) has more processing power than the large computers that originally used Nixie tubes! The PCB itself is manufactured in the US by a high quality circuit board house. Board assembly is by Cold War Creations.
The display has many options. Digits can crossfade, slide across, turn off at a programmable time interval, and a light sensor that adjusts the display intensity - the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the Nixie tube display and can also turn off the display when it is dark. Programmable colon modes available. A temperature sensor is also included for displaying the room temperature. Also, each clock is individually calibrated with an Atomic clock module for high accuracy.
Additional features of the IN-18 clock: Humidity sensor for % room humidity, direct drive Nixie tubes, socket for optional GPS module, large tubes (40mm digit size vs. 18mm digit size), standard floor LEDs, more glass used for support structures, easy cleaning (whole assembly can slide out of clock).
* Displays time, date and temperature.
* Alarm with programable snooze interval, and can be cancelled with the switches and/or just by turning on a light!
* New Auto-DST (daylight saving time) adjustment, adjusts the time when DST changes. US/EU/AUSTRALIA zones.
* Special effects: cross fade, slide across, and slot machine effect (these effects take place when digits change, or going from time, date, temperature.
* Programable colon effects: always off, always on, blinking, alternating
* Four colons, can be programmed to show AM/PM.
* Time can be either 24-hour mode, or 12-hour mode, leading zero or leading blank.
* Programmable date format (mm-dd-yy, dd-mm-yy or yy-mm-dd).
* Temperature can be displayed in Deg F, or Deg C
* Humidity can be displayed (% room humidity)
* Auto tube brightness display adjust (varies with ambient light levels), or set to a fixed level.
* Programmable Display OFF/ON times.
* Auto display ON/OFF using ambient light level option, display off when dark.
* Keeps time during power outages for at least 12 hours using a super capacitor - no battery to replace, or worry about corrosive leakage.
* Anti-Cathode Poisoning function (extends tube life). Options for once a day, once an hour or once every 15 minutes.
* Standard duel floor LEDs (2 per tube) in a variety of colors available.
* Auto floor LED brightness adjust (varies with ambient light levels), or set to a fixed level or can be disabled completely.
* Standard Sockets for the Nixie's - easy replacement in case of failure.
* Country specific AC adapter included.
* Color instruction manual included.
* Large Glass Clock IN-18 comes standard with a full 1 year warranty on clock with a 6 month warranty on the tubes.
* Also, International orders are accepted - includes proper AC adapter.
Dimensions: 12"x5.5"x5.5" (305mm x 140mm x 140mm)
Made in Duluth, MN
All of our products are handmade
by expert makers.
No reviews yet
Each week, expert artisans from across the country become makers on CustomMade.
Every maker has a story. Be a part of Cold War Creations's story by placing an order, leaving a review, and seeing your review appear here.