I built this bookcase completely from reclaimed wood. The body and shelves of the cabinet are broad leaf pine that came from floor joists. The redwood panels came out of the old Schmidt's brewery where they were use as treads for catwalks. Notice the center backboards, they were book matched to show off the holes that were drilled to run the electric wires throughout the house.
Why use reclaimed wood?
* We only have so much new wood available-the more it's used the less there is
* You're rescuing wood otherwise destined for the landfill
* Reclaimed wood is old growth wood with tight grain and beautiful color
* It can be book matched for really interesting grain effect
* It has blemishes, yes, but that adds to the sense of history (which we too often forget)