The easel for this music stand had gone through more than 3 generations and was badly damaged. The wood had split in several places and had completely lost its original beauty. The first shot shows its original condition
I built a new easel using some hardware from the old. I had to first make a template for the curved sections. I used white oak and stained it to approximate the original look. I created the new parts and attached them with biscuit joints. I polished the metal parts to give them more life. I had to use new solid brass hinges to attach the ledger. I then hand finished the easel with several coats of wipe-on poly. I then used a very fine woodworkers polish to bring out the sheen and protect the finish.
The client was extremely pleased when I presented him with the new easel mounted to its original metal stand. The client is a cellist among other things and was glad to have this heirloom restored.