A decidedly non-traditional Windsor rocking chair. This beautifully handcrafted chair brings together some of the best features of Windsor chairs with a simpler contemporary design. Some of the intentional deviations from tradition include the following.
1. The organically shaped filet joints where the arms meet the back posts and the legs meet the rocker.
2. Its made out of Solid Walnut with a clear natural oil/wax finish. The chair can also be made from Cherry if that is your preference.
3. Its legs, stretchers and back posts are done in a simple contemporary style.
4. It's back spindles are s-curves, wider at the bottom, providing excellent lumbar support.
5. The curved rockers and headboard are laminated, a stronger construct then the traditional steam-bent technique.
But in other ways it follows the best practices of traditional Windsor chairs.
1. The seat and arm rests are hand carved.
2. the legs, back and arm posts are all hand turned on a lathe.
2. The seat forms the central architectural element of the chair and the legs are joined to the seat using tapered wedged tenons which is the exceptionally strong joint that is a signature feature of Windsor chairs.
Seat is 20"W by 20.5"D
Headboard is 29" from the seat bed.
Dimensions are approximate. This is a handcrafted piece and slight variations are inevitable. Building a chair like this is time-consuming and demanding. Depending on when you order, it may take longer then 12 weeks. I can provide photo updates if you desire.
Price does not include shipping. This chair is shipped via Truck Freight in a custom crate that I build for the chair. The cost varies depending on destination and will be negotiated when the chair is commissioned.